Half Day Itinerary for Amsterdam
Having scooped up an awesome airfare to Cairo, Egypt last November; the ticket allowed me to spend nearly a full day layover in Amsterdam. Here’s a half day itinerary for Amsterdam that I would recommend to people visiting this city on a layover.
Flying form New York’s JFK to Schipol (AMS) Airport on an overnight flight, I arrived at 5:30am ready to hit the city by storm and see & learn as much as I could. Having never been to Amsterdam before, I had no idea what to expect. While sitting in JFK, I hurriedly put together an itinerary for the day that I thought would be completely doable.
|5:30-6:30||Land at Schipol Airport , purchase a round-trip ticket for the rail to Centraal Station||€9.10|
|6:30-7:00||Arrive at Amsterdam Centraal station and grab a tall cup of coffee||€2.75|
|7:00-7:20||Walk towards the Anne Frank House & Museum|
|Arrive at the Anne Frank House & realize you do not need to stand in line until 20 minutes before they open|
7:30 – 8:40
|Walk around the neighborhood surrounding the Anne Frank Museum and get lost|
8:40 – 10:40
|Anne Frank House & Museum||€9.00|
10:40 – 11:35
|Walk towards Dam Square and the Red Light District. Grab a bite to eat & a beer from The Bulldog Pub||€10|
11:35 – 14:00
|Participate in the Free Walking Tour of Amsterdam||€ Tips Accepted|
14:00 – 14:30
|Walk back to Amsterdam Centraal Station and take the train back to Schipol|
- If you’re hungry after you land, grab food in the Centraal Station. No where else will be open until 8:00 or later
- The Anne Frank House & Museum will always have a line. If you plan in advance, you can book your ticket online so you do not have to wait in line.
- The train from Schipol to Centraal Station takes about 15 minutes
- Schipol (AMS) airport has free wifi – premium speed costs €10 for 24 hours access
- Pedestrians are supposed to yield to bicyclists
Other places you could visit without doing the free tour could be the following:
- The Van Gogh Museum
- The Rembrandt House Museum
- Coffeeshop Tour
- Red Light District Tour
- City Bike Tour
- The Floating Flower Market
- The Various Bookshops around town
- Jordaan Neighborhood
If you have any tips about Amsterdam, let others know about them in the comments below.